Over a year ago, our team at Portal A sat down with The Gregory Brothers to map out an original show that would take their musical comedy genius to a global scale.
We are hugely proud to announce the release of SONG VOYAGE, a semi-scripted original comedy series that follows the Gregorys as they travel the world to collab with an eccentric group of local musicians – from a rapper in Vietnam to a throat singer Mongolia.
The show, created and produced by Portal A in collaboration with the Gregory Brothers, was released with an exclusive window on Sling TV, and you can see the premiere episode, the first music video, and all 6 upcoming episodes on the Gregorys’ channel. The show will be distributed and promoted with an aggressive marketing campaign in early 2017. Song Voyage has also already received some fantastic early press, including this exclusive coverage in Mashable.
This company got its start in original content – it’s a huge part of our history and central to our identity moving forward. Alongside the premiere of Song Voyage, the leadership of George Woolley, and with over a dozen original projects in development and production, we’re gearing up for a big year for Portal A Originals in 2017.
Portal A & YouTube Are Back At It With The Biggest Rewind Yet
For the past few years, our team has had the honor of helping to bring the vastness of YouTube to life through the epic year-end video, YouTube Rewind.
Rewind is a tribute to all the culture-defining moments, memes, trends, stars, creators, and music that took hold on YouTube over the last twelve months. YouTube occupies a very special place in our heart, and every year, we are floored by the limitless creativity and ingenuity of the community. We are so proud to showcase this amazing platform with Rewind.
In 2016, viral challenges dominated the YouTube charts. There was the Running Man Challenge, the Mannequin Challenge, the Pokemon Challenge, the 100 Layer Challenge, the Backpack Challenge, and the Silver Flamingo Challenge (that last one’s not real). YouTube Rewind 2016: The Ultimate Rewind Challenge was not only the perfect title for the video, but also the perfect description for how this year’s Rewind came to life.
Our approach to this year’s production is best summarized by the immortal words of Rihanna: Work, Work, Work, Work, Work, Work.
Over the course of many months, we watched a (truly) insane amount of YouTube videos; created a soundtrack featuring six of the year’s most influential pop songs; collaborated with 200+ of the world’s most dazzling YouTube Creators, viral stars, and mainstream celebrities from around the globe; produced far and wide, from Japan to Mexico to London to Los Angeles; featured footage from 18 different countries; and spent countless late nights in the editing booth to weave it all together seamlessly. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to a dream team of producers and crew around the world who poured their blood, sweat, and tears into making this project a reality, and to the incredible team at YouTube who has the vision to bring this special project to life.
We hope you enjoy watching Rewind as much as we enjoyed making it – and if you don’t understand every single reference, don’t beat yourself up about it, it’s a big internet out there (and remember, there’s always next year).
Your friends at Portal A
Portal A is an award-winning digital studio that develops, produces, and distributes video built for the digital age.
We partner with the world’s leading brands – Google, YouTube, Universal Pictures, Lenovo, Banana Republic, NBCUniversal, and more – and create original, owned digital entertainment properties. Portal A is independent with offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Our team is looking to hire a Development Producer to join our LA office.
• Develop show concepts for talent vehicles and original IP
• Work with Originals team to option scripts and treatments from external creatives
• Research market trends / culture trends / underrepresented voices and scenes
• Manage external design partners for presentation materials, including treatments and show bibles.
• Oversee editors on creation of visual pitch materials including rip reels, character reels, and pilots.
• Work with Producers to build out budgets for series presentations
• Contribute directly to shows that are greenlit for production
• 5 – 7 years experience working in digital or traditional entertainment production / development in both scripted and unscripted formats.
• Knowledgeable and passionate about creating content for emerging digital platforms.
• Passion for both unscripted and scripted development
• Detail-oriented to the extreme and able to multi-task and manage a variety of projects at once
• Able to leverage resources and creatively problem solve
• Strong team building, collaborative, and interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate in clear, concise language
• Strong ability to establish priorities and make time-sensitive decisions
• Willingness to work on a collaborative team in a startup environment
A few of the benefits of working at Portal A
• Our team is fun, curious, full of creativity and optimism, with a strong desire to innovate
• Our office environment is flexible, autonomous, focused, and collaborative
• Our team structure is flat and non-hierarchical, with opportunities to grow into leadership and contribute at various layers of the process
• We offer competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and generous bonuses
• Benefits include a matching 401K plan, medical, dental and vision group coverage and commuter benefits
• Flexible vacation and work-from-home policies, including multiple WFH days a month.
• A casual work environment
• The chance to be at the forefront of one of the most dynamic, complex creative and strategic industries – original and commercial online video
• Office always stacked with drinks and snacks
• Weekly lunches catered on the company
• Matching charitable donations at year-end
• Fun days and outings (baseball games, concerts, volunteer days, etc.)
• The freshest Portal A swag (backpacks, hoodies, water bottles, etc.)
• Travel stipends between our LA and SF offices
• Reimbursed cell phone expenses
How to apply
Email email@example.com with your resume, references, and a few sentences on why you’d be interested in working with us. Please include “DEVELOPMENT PRODUCER” in the subject line of your email.
Portal A is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for our open positions.
#Blessed and honored to be named “Best Digital Studio/Production Company” in this year’s Cynopsis Model D Awards.
We were so proud to team up with the Hillary Clinton campaign and three of YouTube’s rising stars – Todrick Hall, GloZell Green, and Sam Tsui – to reach millennial voters in Pennsylvania, Florida, and Ohio, bringing to life the power of a single vote.
“Hillary for America campaign recruited digital studio Portal A” Variety
“The Clinton Campaign Deploys Its Secret Weapon: YouTubers” Vanity Fair
“Hillary Clinton turns to YouTube stars to reach undecided voters” Mashable
“This Isn’t a Lost Episode of ‘Glee’ — It’s a Hillary Clinton Ad” Ad Age
“Clinton Campaign Taps Glozell, Todrick, Sam Tsui to Sway Voters” Tubefilter