We’re thrilled to welcome six bright and talented new members to the Portal A family, and congratulate our all-stars on their recent promotions.
Read about our new hires and promotions below and in Tubefilter.
Joining the Squad
Brittany Turner joins the team as Portal A’s Development Executive. Before Portal A, Turner served as the VP of Digital at Adaptive Studios where she led the digital studio spinoff of the HBO TV show Project Greenlight whose partners included Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Miramax.
Mai Perches joins Portal A as Creative Producer. Perches comes to Portal A with a background that spans NBCUniversal, Vice Media as well as creative shops including Culture Co-op and Ripple Entertainment.
Bita Khaleghi has been hired as a Project Manager. She joins Portal A from communications firm VSC where she managed a team of 10 and a variety of technology clients in their communications strategy and planning.
Kelly Egan has been tapped as Talent Producer. She joins the team from Golin where she led talent and influencer efforts for a leading tech brand. At Portal A, Egan will be tasked with talent outreach, strategy, and communications.
Dustin Glass has joined Portal A as an Associate Talent Producer. Glass comes to the team from WME’s competitive agent trainee program where he worked in the music and digital divisions.
Moriah Grant joins Portal A’s project management team as Project Coordinator. Before Portal A, Grant was an Assistant Brand Manager at Camp + King in San Francisco.
And Congratulations To…
Erin Schmalfeld is now Portal A’s Head of Creative. Previously Senior Creative at Portal A, in her new role Schmalfeld will lead the creative team and oversee the ideation process and the creative execution of branded content campaigns.
Savana Vagueiro da Fonseca is now Senior Project Manager, Branded & Originals. She is responsible for managing a diverse set of clients and overseeing Portal A’s projects from brief to launch.
Arif Zaman is now Senior Project & Partnerships Manager. In his new position, Zaman will manage multiple branded projects and lead new and ongoing partnerships with brands, platforms, and agencies.
Kady Kamakate is now a Producer at Portal A. Formerly an Associate Producer, she will lead and oversee the production process for Portal A’s diverse projects. Kamakate came to Portal A from Deutsch where she worked on production for large scale TV and Internet campaigns for top brands including Taco Bell.
Ellie Loarca is now Associate Talent Producer. In this role, Loarca will support talent relations and strategy for branded and original projects. Prior to Portal A, Loarca worked as an Associate Producer at Discovery Digital Networks.
At Portal A, values are central to our identity as a company.
They guide how we conduct our business, collaborate with our partners, and create our work. As a team that represents the full spectrum of American diversity – religious, sexual orientation, ethnicity, and gender – we hold close to our hearts values of inclusivity, equality, and justice, and we are prepared to stand up to fight for those ideals and beliefs.
What we saw in Charlottesville – and the cowardly and dangerously ambiguous response from this White House – was tragic and dispiriting. Hatred, terrorism, and bigotry have no place in our country, nor does any moral equivalence between those who march for hate and those who march against it.
But we can all make a difference in the march toward progress. To borrow a phrase from Robert Kennedy, “tiny ripples of hope” can turn the tide in the fight against prejudice and inequality and “build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression.”
In light of these recent national events, and the white supremacist rally being organized in our own backyard, Portal A will be sending out our own tiny ripple of hope. This week, our team is raising money in support of the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that has stood strong against forces of racism, hatred, and discrimination since 1971.
We kicked off the campaign with a $500 donation from Portal A, and proudly matched over $1,000 in contributions from our 40-member team in just the first day.
As our community of friends, family, and partners, we hope you will join our effort:
1) Make a donation to our campaign, no matter how large or small.
2) Forward this letter and fundraising page to your friends, or share on social media.
We hit our initial goal of $2,500 within 24 hours of launching this effort, and we’ve upped our target to $5,000 as we begin to share more widely with our friends and followers.
We are proud to be playing our small part to fight for a better and more equitable America. We hope you will join us.
Portal A is an award-winning digital studio that develops, produces, and distributes video built for the digital age. We are independently owned, with offices in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
We produce premium entertainment with breakthrough talent, dedicating ourselves to a single mission: inspire a new generation of viewers. We partner with some of the world’s leading brands – YouTube, Google, Lenovo, Amazon, Clorox, and more – and develop and produce original entertainment for the web and television.
Our team is looking to add a full-time Post Production Supervisor to our Los Angeles office.
• Liaising between Producer, Editor, Sound Mixer, Colorist through the post workflow
• Building, managing, and actualizing post-production schedules and budgets
• Oversee the management of all media and assets for each project from ingesting to final delivery
• Keeping the post-production team on task and making sure we’re hitting deadlines
• Recommending and managing freelance Editors and Assistant Editors
• Working directly with Post Producer on any VFX needs
• Working with Post Producer on post-production needs: computer rental, music and graphics
• Working directly with Editor(s) in implementing Internal and Client notes
• Monitoring post-production weekly and daily schedules
• Hiring post-production freelancers (editors, sound engineers, colorists, etc.) and managing post-production process
• Working daily with Post Producer and Project Manager to meet and exceed client expectations and deliverables
• Working with the Post Producer and Lead Editor to ensure post-production is hitting all guidelines in the Creative Bible and Script
• Managing QC exports through every step of the post process
• Creating a music and sfx cue sheet for each video
• 1-3 years of post supervision experience in digital content
• Detail-oriented to the extreme
• Expert knowledge of the post production process
• Able to multi-task and manage a variety of projects and freelancers at once
• Excellent communication and writing skills
• Experience managing budgets and post production teams
• Experience in post producing including hiring and managing editors, sound engineers and colorists
• Willingness to work long hours in a start-up environment
• A network of freelancers —editors, assistant editors, VFX artist, colorist, etc. — in place is a plus
• Familiarity with post production world: language, software, technology, etc
• General knowledge of editing/finishing software – Adobe Premiere, Davinci Resolve and ProTools
A few of the benefits of working at Portal A
• Our team is fun, curious, full of creativity and optimism, with a strong desire to innovate
• Our office environment is flexible, autonomous, focused, and collaborative
• Our team structure is flat and non-hierarchical, with opportunities to grow into leadership and contribute at various layers of the process
• We offer competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and generous bonuses
• Benefits include a matching 401K plan, medical, dental and vision group coverage and commuter benefits
• Flexible vacation and work-from-home policies, including multiple WFH days a month
• A casual work environment
• The chance to be at the forefront of one of the most dynamic, complex creative and strategic industries – original and commercial online video
• Office always stacked with drinks and snacks
• Weekly lunches catered on the company
• Matching charitable donations at year-end
• Fun days and outings (baseball games, concerts, volunteer days, etc.)
• The freshest Portal A swag (backpacks, hoodies, water bottles, etc.)
• Travel stipends between our LA and SF offices
• Reimbursed cell phone expenses
How to apply
Email [email protected] with your resume, references, and a few sentences on why you’d be interested in working with us. Please include “POST SUPERVISOR – LA” in the subject line of your email.
Portal A is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce. Women, people of color, LGBTQ, veterans, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply for our open positions.
Variety takes a look inside Portal A’s development slate featuring new Original series, fresh talent attachments, and pilot productions: